3.04.2007

Geico TV

Here's an interesting bit of news pulled from the I Watch Stuff Web site (www.iwatchstuff.com):

"ABC has announced that they are developing the popular "Caveman" series of Geico Auto Insurance commercials into a half-hour comedy project, or, if you prefer, a thinly-disguised infomercial series. The ads have gathered a following for their jokes about prehistoric men fighting prejudice from the modern world, much in the way hobos fight the prejudice of me and my "hobo stick."

Strange as is it seems, this won't be the first time a commercial has made the jump to a series, as Baby Bob, based on dot-com ads, did the same thing in 2002. It also won't be the first time a caveman stars in a regular sitcom, with Ted Danson having played a caveman bartender on Cheers and a caveman doctor on Becker to mixed results."

Pretty interesting. I certainly love the commercials but as a show will it really have enough material to produce 22 episodes a year? We'll see. Also they do make a good point about Baby Bob, that was utterly terrible...and they even brought him back for Quizno's which was even worse! Let's not forget that CP+B has announced their intentions to take the King out of BK and beyond video games—into TV and movies. A move that I think will be disastrous and forever ruin what is currently a great marketing tool. But it's not like Crispin Porter has a track record of taking a gimmick too far or beating a dead horse. Oh wait.

Anyway, keep an eye open (and an ear as well) for more information on this Geico series. I think it'll be disastrous but I love the cavemen so I hope I'm wrong.

No comments: